Friday, January 3, 2014

I Have LOFTY Goals

Today was an interesting day. It didn't start out quite the way I had planned (we overslept). And the plans that I did have for the day didn't get accomplished. However, something else wonderful did. :D
First things first though, it occurs to me that everyone has a different idea of just what 'adventure' means to them. For some, it involves travel. While for others, it involves risk in the extreme. For the purpose of my year, 'adventure' is just going to be anything that opens our minds to new things and allows us to truly embrace what we experience. Yes, there will likely be some travel, and possibly some risks taken, but we are embracing our lives as if we are living our greatest adventure this year. That's our goal in a nutshell. I may have said this before, but I want to make it extra clear. SO, if this is redundant, oh well. LOL

The day started kinda slow because, like I said, we overslept. And I had planned to take the girls to the library and do a couple of other things while we were out, but we were way behind and I am still not feeling 100% due to a recent medical procedure (let me tell you just how disinclined I feel about embracing adventure right now because of this right here LOL) But we were going to power thru and just go later, until I went next door for breakfast (my best friend lives next door and sometimes I like to go over and talk and eat breakfast.)
A bit of backstory, on Christmas day, a friend called me to see if I wanted to go thru her girlfriend's mother's old sewing patterns. The mother was cleaning out her basement and just wanted them gone, so my friend was bringing them home with her. Of course I said yes, 'cuz I can always use more sewing stuff. LOL Well, today she contacted my best friend to see if it would be a good day for her to bring the patterns over for me/us to go thru them. And I said sure, why not?
There were boxes and boxes of these vintage patterns from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. There were quilting magazines and hot iron transfers and tons of patterns. We went thru them one by one, laughing at the ridiculousness of some of them, and separating them. I didn't actually find that many that I could/would use, but it was nice to go thru them and look at them and just to see what was there.
Among the ones that I did choose to keep is a vintage pattern from 1969 (Simplicity 8147) that I am going to alter to fit me. The alteration is going to actually end up being a full pattern draft because the pattern is a single size that is much to small for me. Yes, I know that it would be easier to just shell out the money to buy one in my size. However, that would defeat the purpose of the adventure. :D I will, of course, be posting an update of how that goes at a later time.
I'm also borrowing a set of vintage hot iron transfers from around the same time period (I can't find a photo online, but it is a Laura Wheeler set, design 413, for Old Fashioned Cars.) The set is meant to be used for making a quilt where the pictures are transferred onto 9" x 9" quilt blocks and then the designs are embroidered by hand. You are supposed to make 24 of the embroidered blocks (2 of each design) and then assemble them into a full quilt with the finished dimensions of 63" x 91". Now, I am not a quilter. I never claimed to be. But, I believe that my dad will really like the designs and I imagine that I can make one of these block pieces every month so that it would be done by Christmas this year. So, that is my goal. 1 block a month, finished half quilt for dad for the holiday. Adventure's away!
While I was next door we also plotted some travel plans for later on this year. And I am awfully excited about them. However, that too is a tale for a different day. :D

If I had to pin down one thing that I feel was being pointed out to me today it would be the fact that I need to have a spirit of recognition for the many different ways 'adventure' presents itself to me. And, once recognized, I need to learn to embrace it however it comes. I'm pretty sure I accomplished that today, and will continue to endeavor to do so in the future. Because I'm determined not to miss out on a single awesome thing that happens in my life from this point forward. I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment